Wednesday 15th January 2020 at 8.00 p.m.
- Starting Date 18th / 19th January 2020
- Enter your team this weekend (10th, 11th, 12th January 2020) Sheet on Notice Board (Lobby Area of Club House) Teams of 3. One Sub on team allowed. Entry:€25 per person.
Men’s Winter League Format
- Played over 5 rounds on 18 Hole Course
- 1st Round to be played between Saturday 18th and Friday 24th January 2020
- 2nd Round to be played between Saturday 25th and Friday 31st January 2020
- 3rd Round to be played between Saturday 1st and Friday 7th February 2020.
- 4th Round to be played between Saturday 8th and Friday 14th February 2020.
- 5th Round to be played between Saturday 15th and Friday 21st February 2020.
- 1st Round 3 Ball Scramble
- 2nd Round 3 Ball Classic
- 3rd Round 3 Ball Rumble
- 4th Round 3 Ball Waltz
- 5th Round 3 Ball Dusty Bin
Christmas Hamper Draw Results 22nd December 2019
- Frankie Walsh
- Evelyn Mulhall, Ballyroan.
- Patricia Kavanagh c/o Kathleen, Ballymaddock.
- Jim & Gemaine Cahill, Carlow Road
- Maeve Flynn c/o Catherine Kirwan, Raheenabrogue.
- Declan Moore
- Bernie Carroll
- Martina Peacock
- Martin McDonald
- Declan Moore
- Derry & Catherine Connolly
- Michael McDonnell
- Sorcha Dunne
Many Thanks to Geraldine Murphy, Bernie Carroll and the Entertainments Committee who organised this event.
Captains 2020 Evelyn Casserly and Liam Ryan
New Category of membership 2020
- A New or Lapsed Member can join for a period of 3 years for €400 per year. A member who recruits a new member will have his/her sub locked at €400 for 3 years (Motion passed at A.G.M. 2019)
- All other membership stays the same as last year, check out membership page.
A big “Thank You” to all our Sponsors and everyone who supported our Fundraising Classic in September 2019. €6,680 was raised to help us purchase a Tractor for the course,
“Captains Drive Inn” Sunday 20th January 2019
- Assemble in the Club House 11.30 a.m.
- “Captains Drive In” 12 noon
- 3 Ball Better Ball (Shot Gun Start 12.30 p.m.) 9 Hole Stable-ford Competition.
- The in-coming Captains, Tom Molumby & Karen Odlum with Presidents Bosco When & Teresa Bradshaw and Officers of the Club look forward to meeting you and wish everyone an enjoyable year of Golf in 2019.
Mixed Match Play Winners 2018
Liam Ryan and Elizabeth Meagher.
Presented by Blathnaid Bergin, Lady Captain Andrea Rogers and Captain Noel Burke.
Runners Up of the Mixed Match Play 2018
Liam Dunne and Elaine Mahony (Absent). Presented by Blathnaid Bergin and Captain Noel Burke.
Monster Christmas Hamper Draw
Takes place on Wednesday 19th December 2018 after the A.G.M. Please remember to submit draw cards this week.
The A.G.M of Abbeyleix Golf Club will be held on the Club House on Wednesday 19th December 2018 @ 7.30 pm. Motions for A.G.M and nominations for Council, (Proposed and Seconded) to be lodged with Secretary 5 days in advance of meeting. Nominations /Motions Slips on Notice Board. Place Nomination / Motion Slips in brown envelope provided and place in green fees box.
Golfer of the Year Peter Dunne 2018
Christmas Charity Flower Demonstration 2018
There will be a Christmas Charity Flower Demonstration in the Club House by Lawlor’s Florists on Wednesday 5th December 2018 at 8.00 p.m. Admission €10 Special Door Prize and a compliment glass of wine.
Singles Match Play 2018
Donal O’Callaghan accepting the Singles Match Play Stone Arch Trophy 2018 from Captain Noel Burke on behalf of his son Oisín O’Callaghan. This is the second time Oisín has won this Trophy. He won it in 2014.
Oisín OCallaghan Singles Match Play Winner 2018 and 2014 with Fr Seán Conlon
Runner Up Singles Match Play 2018
Joe Anderson with captain Noel Burke
Captains Celebration Night 2018
Saturday 1st December 2018 at 9.00 p.m. in the club house Music, Dance and Food. A special night of thanks to all supporters of the club in 2018 Admission Free.
Men’s Fourball Match play Winners 2018
Cyril Bacon and Tom Reilly with Captain Noel Burke
Mass for Deceased Members Relatives and Friends of Abbeyleix Golf Club
Friday 16th November at 8.00 p.m. in the Club House. All Welcome.
Runners Up Men’s Fourball Match Play 2018
Mark and Jim Ring with Captain Noel Burke
Shaw’s Open Singles Final
Bank Holiday Monday 29th October. Block Draw Please get your name down on the time sheet.
15 Hole Turkey Competition
Friday 26th to Sunday 28th October
Fundraising Classic Friday 7th to 9th September 2018
Thank you to everyone our Sponsors, Members, Visitors and Friends who helped make our fundraising weekend a tremendous success. Over €8,500 was raised for the club
Celebrating St Patrick’s Day 2018
Social Night “Guests; Local Comhaltas Group, with local artists. Great night assured. Friday 16th March 2018 at 9.00 p.m. All are welcome Tickets available. Admission €5. Lots of Craic and Rúille Búille. Please support.
25 Card Drive
Abbeyleix Golf Club Saturday 27th January 8.45pm start. Admission €10. Supper Included.
“Captains Drive In” Sunday 14th January 2018.
- Assemble in the Club House 11.30 a.m. Presidents Address (Mr Tom Carroll)
- “Captains Drive In” 12 noon
- 3 Ball Better Ball (Shot Gun Start 12.30 p.m.) 9 Hole Stable-ford Competition. Pick your own Team. Time Sheet available.
- Music from 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m. Pat Costello no cover charge, finger food, dancing etc.
The in-coming Captains, Presidents and Club Officers look forward to meeting you and wish everyone an enjoyable year of Golf in 2018.
The A.G.M of Abbeyleix Golf Club will be held on the Club House on Friday 12th January 2018 @ 8.00 pm. Motions for A.G.M and nominations for Council, (Proposed and Seconded) to be lodged with Secretary 5 days in advance of meeting. Nominations /Motions Slips on Notice Board. Place Nomination / Motion Slips in brown envelope provided and place in green fees box.
Victorious “Left Handed” Golfers 2017. Captained by Aidan Dunphy. Receives the Trophy from PJ Peacock (Sponsor) of the “19th Hole”
Abbeyleix Golf Club Launch Souvenir Historical Calendar (December 2017)
History was made in Abbeyleix Golf Club recently with the launch of a souvenir calendar of the club.
This is no ordinary calendar but a comprehensive history from its beginning in 1895, making Abbeyleix one of the oldest established clubs in the country.
The exact location of the original course is not clear with local legend putting the first course at “The Island” between Ballyroan and Abbeyleix. It moved first to Ballymullen and then to Heywood in 1921. On the 11th. May 1927, the club moved to its present location in Rathmoyle when Mr Robert Wilde of Rathmoyle House offered the front lawn of his house as a course.
Every facet of golf club life has been highlighted in this publication, from the great victories in inter-club competitions, record scores on the course and the many social activities in the clubhouse. The introduction of celebrity golf classics helped to raise necessary finance and while the celebs enjoyed playing during the day, the song and laughter lasted long into the night.
In more recent times, members showed their prowess on the dance floor as well with a very enjoyable strictly come dancing. The club has always been very conscious of its place in the community and many different organisations have participated in fundraising efforts on the course, the local sporting groups, charitable organisations , and youth groups have always been an integral part of the fabric of the club.
Based on an idea of vice-captain Noel Burke, the project got full support from everyone in the club. A sub-committee was formed and the final product is a testament to their tremendous work. Packed with history, anecdotes and a tremendous amount of photographs, old and new, this is a calendar that will become a coffee table reference for many friends of Abbeyleix in years to come.
The 2017 captains Aidan Dunphy and Bernie Carroll launched the calendar in front of a packed audience of many past and present members in the clubhouse for the launch. The captain Aidan acknowledged the attendance of Viscount De Vesci, who had recently been awarded honorary life membership of the club.
The calendars are for sale at €10 per copy and €20 for the laminated version.
Contact Doris 0879291873. Copies may also be viewed in the local library and post office.
Up Coming Events
Left Hand Players V Right Hand Players on Friday 29th December 2017 at 11.00am . See the notice board in the club house for more details. This Years Captains Aidan Dunphy (L.H.P) and Noel Burk (R.H.P).
Last Years Winners (R.H.P) Captained by Donal O’Callaghan (Trophy Kindly Sponsored by P.J Peacock “The 19th Hole”